Thread: Mason Bretan

Interacting with Travis/Shimi the musical robot

Published on Aug 15, 2012

Travis is part of my research in robotic musicianship at the Georgia Tech Center for Music Technology

Credits: Guy Hoffman, Gil Weinberg, Rob Aimi, Ian Campbell, Orr Gottlieb, Assaf Mashiah, Jimmy O'Neill, Mason Bretan

Query By Tapping with Shimi

Published on Oct 27, 2014

A music retrieval system based on salient rhythms

"What you say" - A robot and human musical performance

Published on Jan 14, 2015

This is a performance showcasing part of my PhD research in robotic musicianship at Georgia Tech including machine improvisation, path planning, and embodied cognition. The smaller Shimi robots figure out how to move based on an analysis of the music and Shimon generates an improvisation given a precomposed chord progression using a generative algorithm that jointly optimizes for higher level musical parameters and its physical constraints.

The piece is called “What You Say” and is inspired by the high energy funk piece, “What I Say”, from Miles Davis’ Live-Evil album. The incredible brilliance of the musicians on that album (as well as the numerous other great musicians around the world) are not only an inspiration to me and my own musical and instrumental aspirations, but also set the standard for the level of musicianship that I hope machines will one day achieve. And through the power of artificial intelligence, signal processing, and engineering I firmly believe it is possible for machines to be artistic, creative, and inspirational.
    "Robot jazz band showcases its freestyling skills"

by Aviva Rutkin
    January 23, 2015
    Last edited by Airicist2; 19th December 2022 at 23:54.