Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slightly Overdone, freestyle robotics, interactive installations, character design, Mechelen, Belgium

Slightly Overdone, freestyle robotics, interactive installations, character design, Mechelen, Belgium

Howest Student Project: Robot Eye Rigs

Published on Nov 16, 2013

Like with any other sentient being, the way to look into a Robot's Soul is through his eye.
    So one morning, when 33 students wanted to take their first steps into the world of robotics we built 33 eye rigs.

On November 15th 2013 we built these rigs with the final year Devine students from Howest school in Kortrijk, Belgium. We did all this work in the Budalab in Kortrijk, in less than 3 hours.

Although I was aware that they were a very talented group of people, I was still amazed by the result. The final photo-shoot was a very proud moment.

Magnolia Kinesics Project sulu.be/magnolia

In this project I am exploring the possibilities of dynamic and interactive body language enhancements. Read more about it here.

This second piece, MAGNOLIA, is a large reacting flower on a hat. The petals open or close depending on the mood of the wearer. This mood is measured by head-gestures, skin-conductivity, body temperature or even a brain-activity interface.

MAGNOLIA is created by Jan De Coster.
    © 2013

Kinesics #2: Magnolia
    March 21, 2013

This is the second prototype of the Kinesics project: MAGNOLIA

In the Kinesics project I am exploring the possibilities of dynamic and interactive body language enhancements. People have, for ages, tried to enhance the messages they send to people around them, with the help of, for example, tattoos or jewelry. But your mood changes constantly, even several times per minute. So I believe these enhancements should be able to change too, constantly.
    The second piece, MAGNOLIA, is a large synthetic flower on a summer hat. The petals open and close depending on the mood of the wearer. This mood is measured by head-gestures, skin-conductivity, body temperature or even a brain-activity interface.

If you are a fashion professional, then contact me, so we can start co-creating more pieces !

MAGNOLIA is created by Jan De Coster.

Jimmy or Yummy machine Project

sulu.be/Yummy

The Yummy machine on the left is a robot that was created for Boondoggle and their client Delhaize. It has over 14 motors, controlled by an Arduino board, with a wireless link to a Flash Air interface. He has a fully functional head and neck, and two arms of which one has a hand for picking up stuff. And of course we made sure he has the absolute maximum amount of cuteness. Visit the actual campaignsite.

Slightly OverDone Studio produces interactive installations for which there are no borders between physical and virtual worlds. Only interfaces.

Time-lapse making of Jummy Robot

Published on Nov 4, 2012

I've spend about 4 weeks building the Jummy Machine in the spring of 2012. During that whole period there was a camera pointed at me. I selected a number of relevant scenes and sped them up a little to give you an idea of the different aspects of the build.

Testing the new headroom shield
    January 19, 2013

When I tested the new headroom shield in my arduino robot, the strangest thing happened...

Howest Student Project: Robot Eye Rigs
    November 16, 2013

Like with any other sentient being, the way to look into a Robot’s Soul is through his eye.
    So one morning, when 33 students wanted to take their first steps into the world of robotics we built 33 eye rigs.

On November 15th 2013 we built these rigs with the final year Devine students from Howest school in Kortrijk, Belgium. We did all this work in the Budalab in Kortrijk, in less than 3 hours.

Although I was aware that they were a very talented group of people, I was still amazed by the result. The final photo-shoot was a very proud moment.

Music: Joseph Nothing - Or

Jan De Coster op STIMAC 2013

Published on Nov 28, 2013

Robots in cars getting coffee

Published on Jul 30, 2014

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast