Strandbeests

one step

Published on Oct 15, 2013

Tumbling has always been a problem for Strandbeests. Even low animals like Adulari tended to roll instead of walking when the wind becomes strong. Until last summer. The Animaris Apodiacula doesn't tip over anymore. Not even in strong winds. Buttresses prevent the beast from tumbling. Next spring the new generation will have buttresses on both sides.

plaudens vela 1

Published on Nov 15, 2013

Twin animal. It is the child from the Animaris Protinus. One part of the twin is specialized in catching the wind. The other one caries the bottles and teh senses.

Theo Jansen: My creations, a new form of life

Uploaded on Sep 6, 2007

Artist Theo Jansen demonstrates the amazingly lifelike kinetic sculptures he builds from plastic tubes and lemonade bottles. His creatures are designed to move -- and even survive -- on their own.

Theo Jansen's Strandbeests - Wallace & Gromit's World of Invention Episode 1 Preview - BBC One

Uploaded on Nov 3, 2010

Kinetic sculptor and artist Theo Jansen builds 'strandbeests' from yellow plastic tubing that is readily available in his native Holland.

The graceful creatures evolve over time as Theo adapts their designs to harness the wind more efficiently. They are powered only by the wind and even store some of the wind's energy in plastic bottle 'stomachs' to be used when there is no wind.

"Strandbeesten" from Alexander Schlichter
November 29, 2008

This is the beginning of my documentary "Strandbeesten". Strandbeesten is a portrait of the artist Theo Jansen.
Jansen is occupied with the making of a new nature. Not pollen or seeds but plastic yellow tubes are used as the basic material of this new nature. He makes skeletons which are able to walk on the wind.
For this film I've accompanied Theo for five years and the result is a 32 minutes documentary.
The film take part in the documentary section at CAMERIMAGE 2008, International Filmfestival in Lodz, Poland.

strandbeestmovie.com

STRANDBEESTEN by Theo Jansen - September 2012
from Alexander Schlichter
March 11, 2013

We shot this sequence end of September 2012 in Scheveningen. We had wonderful weather, some really nice on the beach people who helped us and a herd of four animals walking very fast on the beach.
I started my work with Theo ten years ago and every time I come back to the Netherlands to film a new Strandbeest generation I am excited to see Theo?s passion and inspiration and I am really happy to take part in this wonderful work.
If you would like to support my future work with Theo and make further shootings possible, you could give a tip via Paypal for this video. Thank you very much!

Published on Jun 28, 2014

The new sails of the Animaris Ordis. It walks on quite low wind 15 km/h (7 knots). The name of the new beast is
Animaris Turgentia Vela (strandbeest with billowing sails).
This movie was taken June 26 9.30 pm 2014

storm suspendisse

Published on Aug 17, 2014

The Animaris Suspendisse is the animal I am working on at the beach this summer (2014). I try to train the beast to survive storms. It survived gusts of 80 km/h.
Music this time not by the London Philharmic, but my own voice. Often I am humming songs during my work. What you hear is La Boheme (Charles Aznavour).

Stranbeest Fossils

Published on Nov 12, 2014

During the years of Strandbeest evoution, I threw lots of evolutionary unsuccessfull parts on the roof of my cabin. Volunteers gathered them, cleaned them and catagorized them. And they put them display cases.

slurf 2

Published on Dec 9, 2015

Courtshipping strandbeests. I discovered this way moving. Don't know how I can use it to make the animals to survive the storms better. Maybe they can dig sand with it.
In this movie the pressed air is coming from a compressor. In natural circumstances the wind is pressed into PET-bottles by pumps connected with moving wings.

Strandbeest Exhibit, Eploratorium 2016

Published on May 31, 2016

They Jansen's Strandbeest exhibit at the Exploratorium: exploratorium.edu/strandbeest

This summer, experience Strandbeest: The Dream Machines of Theo Jansen at the Exploratorium from May 27 to September 5, 2016. This special exhibition features enormous kinetic sculptures called strandbeests—“beach animals” in Dutch—that mesmerize with their eerily lifelike motion. Constructed largely of PVC tubing and equipped with sensory organs and ever-evolving survival strategies, these amazing beests walk a wandering, wind-blown line between art and engineering, mechanics and biology.

Back