Miscellaneous

Life in the Mariana Trench

Published on Dec 18, 2014

A compilation of video footage captured from the University of Aberdeen’s Hadal-Lander in the Mariana Trench from 5000m to 10,545 m deep. The large fish inhabit the shallower depth (5000 to 6500m) are rat-tails, cusk eels and eel pouts. At the mid depths (6500 to 8000m) are the supergiant amphipods and the small pink snailfish. The fragile snailfish at 8145m is now the deepest living fish. At depth greater than 8500m, only large swarms of small scavenging amphipods are visible. The footage was taken during the HADES-M cruise on Schmidt Ocean Institute’s Research Vessel ‘Falkor’.

RoboFish Repair

Published on Feb 28, 2015

I found the remains of this RoboFish when we were tidying my daughter's old house when she was moving out. I put it to one side intending to see if it was repairable and today I found time to have a look at it. I put a home made tail on it and spent a little time adjusting the balance and buoyancy and it really seems too cute to take apart so if you want to see one dissected have a look at the video by chen yadid

DRU - Dolphin Robotic Unit

Uploaded on Jan 17, 2009

DRU was the first free swimming animatronic figure ever created.
Shot and Directed by Roger Holzberg
Project Concepted and Produced by Roger Holzberg

Robotic fish in South Korea - very advanced, very strong, mostly autonomous

Published on Jan 10, 2014

Robotic fish in South Korea - very advanced, very strong, mostly autonomous. They use a laser beam to determine distance from objects and amend their swimming path to suit.

SwimSwallow: an abstract, bio-inspired robotic fish

Published on May 19, 2015

Serena Booth and Lezhi Li

GSD 0678 | Fall 2014
Informal Robotics
New Paradigms for Design and Construction
Harvard University Graduate School of Design
Chuck Hoberman, Instructor
Jonathan Grinham, Teaching Fellow / Dan Aukes, Research Fellow

SwimSwallow is an abstractly bio-inspired interpretation of a ?sh. The piece is designed to be laser cut from acrylic, and is then constructed with taped hinges and two servos for mouth and tail control respectively. All hinges are constructed in the ?at orientation for the sake of precision, and tabs then form a rigid linkage for stability.

The opening and closing of the mouth is achieved through spherical linkage mechanism, whereas the propulsion is applied by flipping the tail as the result of a parallel linkage mechanism. This ?ipping action also serves to steers the fish underwater.

A robotic spy among the fish

Published on Nov 9, 2017

A new miniature robot developed by EPFL researchers can swim with fish, learn how they communicate with each other and make them change direction or come together. These capabilities have been proven on schools of zebrafish.

Highly optimised robo-fish represents speediest form of swimming tech

Published on Sep 13, 2019

TU Delft student Sander van den Berg has created a low-cost, energy-efficient robotic fish that can move through water faster than any other.

The Industrial Design Engineering masters student created the high-speed underwater drone as his graduate project from the Delft University of Technology.

The prototype robot — coloured bright orange like the clown fish from Finding Nemo — swims at a record-breaking 0.85 metres a second.

"3D-printed robotic fish swims through water by mimicking the movement of a tuna"

by Rima Sabina Aouf
September 11, 2019

Back