Tin Spider (Walking Pod), USA

walking pod burning man 2012

Published on Sep 8, 2012

This is my Theo Jansen inspired walking machine making its first tracks at burning man 2012. It's powered by two commercial dishwasher gear motors I recycled. Total power is around 800 watts. weight is around 1800 lbs. It has motor speed controllers to turn and independent forward and reverse on the right and left sides. Top speed at the moment is .2 miles per hour. size is 12' x 12' x 12'

walking pod front leg closeup

Published on Sep 9, 2012

Another view of my walking pod. This shows the details how the legs look when all legs are in motion. ( There are twelve legs total)

walking pod side view

Published on Sep 8, 2012

This is a side view of my Theo Jansen inspired walking machine. not the flat movement with the horizon. There is almost no up and down movement of this vehicle.

walking pod chain tensioner

Published on Sep 8, 2012

This is a close up of the chain tension assemble I designed to compensate for forward and reverse chain slack. It worked well but needs a bit of tweeking.

Walking Pod & Tiniest Robot House

Published on Jun 12, 2015

Check out Scott Parenteau's Walking Pod, a graceful spider-like form of transportation inspired by Theo Jansen's Strandbeest that crawled across Maker Faire Bay Area.

Back