Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Automata from Tom Haney

"Homage to Dumas" - 2015 - Automtaton by Tom Haney

Published on May 14, 2016

This piece was commissioned by a woman who's been in love with the works of Alexandre Dumas ever since she was a child. Her idea was to portray a young girl, building a small sailing ship in the style of the Pharaon. Here she's in the wood shop, surrounded by tools, quietly working away.

The piece measures 14" x 18" x 13", and is powered by the crank out front.

Hand-sculpted polymer clay head, hand-carved basswood body, with handmade clothes.
    Most of the items in the wood shop were made from scratch, except the table tops, which were made from found boxes. The base, the floor, and the walls are all made from scratch. The mechanism was handmade using 2 salvaged gears.

"Cotillion" - 2016 - Dancing Couple Automaton by Tom Haney

Published on Sep 23, 2016

This dancing couple automaton was commissioned by a collector who admired my 2001 piece, "Marathon". This version is powered by an electric motor, which moves 4 cams and levers to control the motions. One cam for their right legs, one for their left legs, one for their arms, and one moves the platform (that holds the strings) side to side.

Hand-sculpted polymer clay heads, hand-carved basswood bodies, with handmade clothes. The stage and all the mechanical parts are made from scratch - except I used precision bearings as cam followers.

"What I do - and what I can do for you" - Automata by Tom Haney

Published on Jan 15, 2018

Here's a quick overview of what I do. Originally, it was for a Feature Video for my YouTube Channel, but YT just recently got rid of the feature. Oh well, here it is anyway.

Feel free to contact me about any commission idea you might have. And I do commercial projects for businesses, museums, and interior designers. I'd love to talk with you about the possibilities.

Music - "A Hundred Orchards" by John Mark Nelson.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12