Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Driverless driving, Tesla, Inc., Palo Alto, California, USA

We played patty-cake while the Tesla drove itself

Published on Jan 15, 2016

Tesla's semi-autonomous system is really, really good.

Revolutionize your commute

Published on Jan 25, 2016

Autopilot allows Model S to steer within a lane, change lanes with the simple tap of a turn signal, and manage speed by using active, traffic-aware cruise control. Digital control of motors, brakes, and steering helps avoid collisions from the front and sides, as well as preventing the car from wandering off the road. Model S can also scan for a parking space, alert you when one is available, and parallel park on command.

Autopilot features are progressively enabled over time with software updates.

Enhance your commute with Autopilot

Published on Feb 4, 2016

Tesla Autopilot relieves drivers of the most tedious and potentially dangerous aspects of road travel. We're building Autopilot to give you more confidence behind the wheel, increase your safety on the road, and make highway driving more enjoyable. While truly driverless cars are still a few years away, Tesla Autopilot functions like the systems that airplane pilots use when conditions are clear. The driver is still responsible for, and ultimately in control of, the car. What's more, you always have intuitive access to the information your car is using to inform its actions.

Is A Tesla The Best Semiautonomous Car You Can Buy?

Published on Feb 10, 2016

There's no question that Tesla has made a name for itself in the world of semiautonomous cars, but is it the best one to buy? Our experts weigh in on this episode of What Car Should You Buy.

Tesla Model S Auto Pilot 7.1 doesn't see stopped vehicle and doesn't brake

Published on Feb 17, 2016

Obviously AP is not designed to work on non highways, but at the same time, I found it difficult to test whether it would stop for a parked car/accident on the freeway.
    I talked to Tesla support and they acknowledged that the current sensors/software does not see non moving cars very well, or sometimes too late to allow full collision avoidance.
    I'm not upset about that, just want to make sure people know about it. The manual does state that auto braking (which didn't kick in here, it's the AP that didn't even see the car and I didn't wait long enough to see if auto braking would work), is a collision mitigation system, i.e. ideally you'll impact at lower speed.

Rest of the details:
    I was actually entering in my phone a prior bug I had just found while checking on the AP to make sure it wasn't doing anything stupid, and while it did see a stopped car while I was doing 65mph earlier on the same drive, it didn't see that car at all, and you see things flying in the car when I braked hard after deciding that the car was not going to brake in time.
    Not be fair, most other manufacturer cars also fail this test, but let this be a reminder that auto brake doesn't work nearly reliably as many people think (I'm told mercedes has the best system to date).
    Just another reminder to pay attention to your tesla when it's driving

Tested: Driving the Tesla Model X w/ Autopilot!

Published on Apr 13, 2016

We take the newly-released Tesla Model X for a test drive, courtesy of a friend of Tested. Here's how the Model X compares with the Model S, how the gull wing doors work, and what it's like to drive with Tesla's Autopilot mode on the freeway. It's exciting and terrifying at the same time!

A semi-autonomous road trip in the Tesla Model S

Published on Apr 15, 2016

"A semi-autonomous road trip in the Tesla Model S"
    How I learned to love Autopilot.

by Aaron Souppouris
    April 13, 2016

Autopilot Tesla Model X in Russia Moscow (in Russian)

Published on May 31, 2016

Tesla Model S adaptive cruise control crashes into Van

Published on May 25, 2016

Just to make it clear: The Tesla Model S is the absolute best car in the world at the moment. Nothing comes close.

But, in this case there was a problem with the driving aids and also security systems: None of the safety-systems worked correctly:

1. The TACC, active cruise control did not brake as it normally does
    2. The automatic braking system (AEB) did not make an emergency brake
    3. The forward collision warning turned on way too late, it was set to normal warning distance
    4. The TACC actually was speeding up just before I did hit the brakes

Yes, I could have reacted sooner, but when the car slows down correctly 1'000 times, you trust it to do it the next time to. My bad..

I was looking right to find a spot to merge, and did not realize soon enough that the TACC was accelerating towards the van. So my reaction was too slow because of that. It takes a second to realize that the system is failing and you have to take over.
    In normal operation, the AP slows down as soon as another car puts one wheel on the lines to your lane.

I was in contact with Tesla Europe, but they could not provide me with any useful information. They just stated that "all systems worked as expected". Well, certainly not how I expected them to work...

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast