Thread: Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous

Asteroid Mining

Published on May 9, 2014

In the face of resource scarcity here on Earth, in the future we may obtain raw materials from the asteroids.

This is the second film in my "Resources from Space" series.

Microbes study on Space Station for future biomining on the Moon, Mars

Published on Aug 13, 2019

A new experiment on the International Space Station is "studying whether would-be space miners can enlist some very small potential accomplices to do their grunt work," according to Space.com senior writer Meghan Bartels:

"Scientists Are Recruiting Bacteria to Mine Rock — in Space"

Asteroids – a new El Dorado in space? | DW Documentary

Mar 14, 2021

Mining on asteroids sounds like the stuff of science fiction, but it could soon become a reality. Nations and powerful corporations already have plans for such ventures and are hard at work staking their claim to resources from space.

How can economic growth continue unfettered once all the earth's resources have been consumed? Major companies and governments have long been working on plans to exploit the resources to be found in the vastness of space. How far are humans from achieving this? This documentary examines the technological requirements of space mining. It also assesses how great the desire is to find new sources of raw materials. The film touches on scientific and fundamental societal issues - including humanity’s craving for new territories and our degradation of the Earth as we attempt to exploit all our planet has to offer.

5:00 Historical background.
    16:00 Economic challenges.
    24:00 Legal aspects.
    29:39 Technical requirements.
    Last edited by Airicist2; 17th February 2024 at 20:01.

Article "'The law is way behind the time': Mining asteroids and the moon remains a huge legal gray area"
    Can we mine the moon and asteroids? NASA wants to make it happen, but it's still a huge legal gray area, experts say.

by Kiley Price
    February 16, 2024

Социальные закладки

Социальные закладки