Thread: Nagaina, snake robot from Theodore Enns, USA

Nagaina, snake robot from Theodore Enns, USA

Author - Theodore Enns

Make: Projects
    "Nagaina The Snake Robot"

Nagaina is a twelve degree of freedom snake robot designed, built, and programmed by me. Nagaina's kinematics allow for autonomous or manual control schemes. The head contains three sonar and one IR sensor for detecting dangers (obstacles or falls).

Nagaina The Snake Robot

Uploaded on Oct 17, 2011

Nagaina is a twelve degree of freedom snake robot designed, built, and programmed by me. Nagaina's kinematics allow for autonomous or manual control schemes. The head contains three sonar and one IR sensor for detecting dangers (obstacles or falls). The passive wheels are on small springs to insure that contact with the ground is made at all segments. Unfortunately, due to high torque on the servos, Nagaina has a run-time of about 45 minutes between recharges. The total cost of the project came to about 600 to 700 dollars ( hard to estimate since I used spare parts from previous projects). Nagaina took one day to program from scratch.

FYI, Nagaina is named for the villainous mother-cobra from one of my favorite stories, Rikki-Tikki-Tavi, by Rudyard Kipling.

Nagaina robot snake slivers at the Robot Block Party

Published on Apr 11, 2013

Stanford University's Robot Block Party got a preview of a robotic snake that will be on show at the upcoming Maker Faire

Nagaina 2

Published on May 28, 2013

My snake bot, the original Nagaina, recently slithered its last, as the batteries soldered to the robot's hull died spilling acid. The snake robot was always a crowd favorite, so I decided to revisit the project and build a new, better robot using my Replicator 2 3D printer.

This robot was show cased at the 2013 Bay Area Maker Faire.