Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Simone Giertz

Scrappy robots with Simone Giertz

Published on Jul 13, 2017

Sunglasses robot | Scrappy robots with Simone Giertz

Published on Jul 20, 2017

This week I'm sharing with you this nifty robot I made that puts your sunglasses on your face for you! Who wouldn't want that, right?

In a lot of my projects, I use a machine called a uArm. I used it in the breakfast machine, the lipstick robot and the argue on the internet robot.

My buddy Stu made a replica of this uArm and it works as a remote control for it. I'm going to use this for the first time to make our sunglasses delivery device.

Basically, I've attached a strap to the uArm and attached it to my head. The uArm is holding my sunglasses in place, waiting to guide them right onto my face! Wow - I rhymed.

Next, using this sweet remote control, I will have the robot put my sunglasses on for me. Ok, so it stabs me in the ear a few times and puts them on crooked, but who wouldn't want to spend their time on this?! Besides, I like failing, it takes the pressure off of things.

Have any of you read the book, The Gift of Failure? I can sure get behind that title! Any other books you think I should read? Tell me in the comments below.

I built a Westworld robot and it's HORRIFIC

Published on Apr 19, 2018

HBO asked if I wanted to do a sponsored Westworld video and I was like sure. And did I use it as an excuse to audition to get on the show?

I built an animatronic version of myself to show off my robot building skills. If I’m SimOne, she’s SimTwo. She now lives in my garage. We’re on good terms.

Westworld Season 2 premieres on HBO on April 22! There’s still enough time to binge watch season 1, especially if you’re comfortable with peeing in jars and sleeping with your eyes open. Not that I’m speaking from experience.

Why you should make useless things | Simone Giertz

Published on May 9, 2018

In this joyful, heartfelt talk featuring demos of her wonderfully wacky creations, Simone Giertz shares her craft: making useless robots. Her inventions -- designed to chop vegetables, cut hair, apply lipstick and more -- rarely (if ever) succeed, and that's the point. "The true beauty of making useless things [is] this acknowledgment that you don't always know what the best answer is," Giertz says. "It turns off that voice in your head that tells you that you know exactly how the world works. Maybe a toothbrush helmet isn't the answer, but at least you're asking the question."

Article "Life After a Brain Tumor With Simone Giertz, the Queen of Shitty Robots"
    For years, Giertz’s robo-fails have made us laugh. Now she wants to build something that will actually help people.

by Ali Jaffe
    January 14 2019,

Making Sh** with Simone Giertz

Oct 4, 2019

Simone Giertz has amassed a major YouTube following courtesy of her “sh*** robots” and other highly entertaining projects. She’ll join us to discuss her work and show off her crowdfunded Every Day Calendar project.

Simone Giertz: Queen of Sh*tty Robots, Innovative Engineering, and Design | Lex Fridman Podcast #372

Apr 16, 2023

Outlone:

0:00 - Introduction
    2:06 - Early creations
    18:58 - Sh*tty Robots
    33:56 - Robots and human connection
    36:11 - Dating AI
    39:30 - Proud parent machine
    41:21 - Creative process
    42:47 - Bubble wrap music box
    48:09 - Education
    53:43 - Difficult projects