Thread: Redline droneport, Afrotech-EPFL and Red Line, Lausanne, Switzerland

Redline droneport, Afrotech-EPFL and Red Line, Lausanne, Switzerland

Contributors:

Afrotech-EPFL and Red Line

Norman Foster

vimeo.com/user44146520

Article "Lord Norman Foster to build world's first droneport in Rwanda"
    The British architect is working on a large-scale project to build 3 droneports to deliver medical supplies and electrical parts

by Madhumita Murgia
    September 21, 2015

The world’s first droneport
    September 23, 2015

Lord Norman Foster presents the first concept of the affordable Redline droneport. Redline aims to build the first cargo drone routes on the planet, starting in Africa in 2016. It is an initiative founded and led by J.M. Ledgard's future Africa project at EPFL in Switzerland: afrotech.epfl.ch/page-115280-en.html

Our robot sky: Redline droneport concept
    February 17, 2016

Our robot sky
    by Jonathan Ledgard and Lord Norman Foster
    We think it is possible to build safe cargo drone routes connected by cheap droneports across much of the planet. Quiet, beautiful, goose-like craft will lift off from the droneports carrying precious cargo along fixed routes in the lower sky, saving lives and creating jobs at massive scale. Here is the first concept for a droneport we would like to build in Rwanda. It will cost about the same to build as a petrol station.
    Jonathan Ledgard
    I am a novelist, but I spent most of my career as a foreign correspondent for The Economist. During the last decade covering Africa, my reporting of the mobile phone revolution led me to understand that advanced technology could make it into the poorest communities. I left The Economist to set up a project at EPFL?—?Europe’s Caltech?—?where I could think on this question at a deeper level. I now believe robotics will be the most powerful emergent technology in Africa. That led me to flying robotics and to imagining into existence a cargo drone network, not last mile, not distributed, not using insectlike tiny quadcopter drones, but something much bigger and more simple. I set up a group called Redline which aims to build the world’s first cargo drone route in Africa, carrying emergency supplies and commercial shipments. The purpose is to increase capital through cheaper and faster sharing of precious goods.
    My basic thesis holds that:
    1 It is inevitable on a crowded planet, with limited resources, that we will make more intensive use of our sky using flying robots to move goods faster and more accurately than ever before.
    2 But it is not inevitable that these craft or their landing sites will be engineered to be tough, cheap, or graceful enough to serve poorer and isolated communities who can make most use of them.
    3 Africa has a particular and urgent need. Its population will double to 2.2 billion before 2050. That increase, together with the extermination of other species, volatile rainfall, soil erosion, lack of a manufacturing base and consequent joblessness, and closure of European and other borders to young Africans, will dampen economic growth and increase risk.
    4 Therefore in Africa and some other emerging economies a viable solution is a sharing economy, which allows for the fast and cheap exchange of goods and services. That means building in new ways and accepting the paradox of the 21st century: a household may have access to a robot, but not to running water.
    5 By building cargo drones for the cost of motorbikes and droneports for the price of petrol stations, it is possible to significantly improve health and economic outcomes.
    6 The greatest opportunities will be in areas that lack roads. Not just Africa, but also wild bits of industrial countries, such as the Scottish Highlands, Quebec, or Siberia.
    7 Cargo drone routes only make sense where there is a rapid repetition of flights (20+ flights a day into a town of 20’000 people). The routes should function as spectral railways in the sky.
    8 The technology is a supplementary transport system. Cargo drone routes will never replace roads or railway,s but they will add choice for the rapid sharing of precious cargo up over mountains, across lakes, and along rivers.
    Lord Norman Foster
    The droneport, where the sky touches the ground, is the critical element for a cargo drone route. No one has created rules for this new type of building. The opportunity to do just that is why I chose to support Redline as the very first project of the Norman Foster Foundation. Jonathan approached me and said, “Look, Norman, you’ve built the biggest airport in the world, now could you build the smallest.” The strange thing is that in ten years time the sum total of all these droneports in Africa will be bigger than the biggest airport in the world.
    Our droneport holds to Buckminster Fuller’s maxim of doing more with less. It is grounded in detailed and first-hand study of isolated communities in Africa by Narinder Sagoo, a partner at the firm who has taken the lead on the project. It is very much informed by two previous projects: our 2012 Lunar Habitation for ESA, which binds lunar regolith by use of robots, and Narinder’s Sierra Leone school project, which introduces kit forms in combination with labour and intensive use of locally available materials.
    Redline droneports should be affordable, clean energy civic buildings, with a strong visual presence. They should have many uses; not only cargo drone operations, but also digital fabrication and repair, clinic and pharmacy, postal and courier services, and e-commerce.
    The droneport is intended to save lives and build local economies through enabling the rapid repetition of flight of super-fast and super-cheap flying robots carrying precious cargo over mountains, across lakes, and up unnavigable rivers.

Article "Forget Amazon, Redline is a drone delivery concept for all of Africa"
    (and maybe the Amazon, too)

by Kelsey D. Atherton
    March 10, 2016

Aviation Technology: is it the solution to humanitarian and disaster relief?

Published on Mar 24, 2016

An increasing need for safer, faster, and more efficient relief and disaster response operations around the world has prompted a need for alternatives. As it is usually hard to reach relief locations where ground support is inoperable, utilising aviation technology becomes necessary to emergency operations.

A more advanced example of the use of aviation technology is ‘Rescue Robotics’, a term coined to describe the usage of drones to aid disaster response and relief, was brought to the fore along with many others to describe this new way of saving lives. The potential applications range from locating survivors amidst rubble to evacuation and extinguishing fires.

What are the humanitarian, safety, and economic benefits of using airplanes, rotary platforms and drones to aid disaster relief efforts?

Key Topics for Debate:
    - Recognizing the need for deploying aircraft on-site in disaster zones, and doing so in a shorter period of time (making usage common practice)
    - Identifying the need for human tele-operation (command and control) – whether the chance of error is reduced with complete automation
    - How can drone modalities (ground, water, aerial, underwater, water surface) be matched to the task at hand and relief response time?
    - Costs vs. benefits: Do the advantages of using drones in disaster relief outweigh the costs?
    - Airspace control – will agencies heavily regulate manned and unmanned aircraft hampering the progress of Rescue Robotics?
    - Trends in Rescue Robotics: multi-robot teams and communication networks

Panellists:
    Emma Finlay-Broadbelt, MD, Phoenix Aviation
    Jonathan Ledgard, Director, Future Africa, EPFL and Founder, Redline
    Sir Martin Sweeting, Group Executive Chairman, Surrey Satellite Technology

Moderator:
    Leandro De Sa, Partner, GlobAer Partners & Chairman, European-American Chamber, Southwest France