Thread: "Autonomous", thriller sci-fi short film, George Varotsis, 2016, United Kingdom

"Autonomous", thriller sci-fi short film, George Varotsis, 2016, United Kingdom

Director and Writer - George Varotsis

youtube.com/@georgevarotsis325

vimeo.com/georgevarotsis

"Autonomous" on IMDb
    Last edited by Airicist2; 30th December 2022 at 23:49.

"Autonomous" trailer (award-winning sci-fi/thriller short film 2016)

Published on Dec 1, 2015

Written/Produced/Directed by George Varotsis

Logline: When a mistrustful rogue, who earns a living by sending “obsolete” humanoid robots to the scrap heap, has a change of heart and decides it's time to call it quits, he stumbles upon a conspiracy that will reveal his life's darkest secret.

"Autonomous"
    September 14, 2016

When a mistrustful rogue, who earns a living by sending “obsolete” humanoid robots to the scrap heap, has a change of heart and decides it's time to call it quits, he stumbles upon a conspiracy that will reveal his life's darkest secret.

"Autonomous"

Published on Sep 28, 2016

Watch this thrilling Sci-Fi short film called "Autonomous", when a mistrustful rogue, who earns a living by sending “obsolete” humanoid robots to the scrap heap, has a change of heart and decides it's time to call it quits, and he stumbles upon a conspiracy that will reveal his life's darkest secret! For more information, please see the details and links below.

Director's statement
    I have always been curious about science and its various manifestations and investigations that push our threshold of knowledge above current limits. The level of competence of artificial intelligence and whether robots would one day be able to feel emotions like humans do are aspects of the scientific endeavor I am particularly interested in. But with the attainment of sentience from machines, another question has arisen in my mind - should we grant robots the same "human rights" their biological counterparts enjoy, at least in the developed world? These questions, and their potential answers, motivated me in the first place to develop Autonomous.

I am as much interested in the human drama unfolding on screen as I am in the action. I wanted the atmosphere to be dark and gritty, emphasizing the hero's inner feelings and emotional turbulence, and his eventual transformation. Without negating the film's action and thriller aspects, I wanted Autonomous to tell primarily a story about the human condition and thus, the human story to be in the foreground. The pacing of the film was deliberate and I wanted the pace to build up gradually as the drama unfolds. We achieved changes in mood and pacing aurally through sound and music, and visually through lighting and the use of handheld camera in the second half of the film.