Thread: Smart Virtual Store, Tesco PLC, Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

Smart Virtual Store, Tesco PLC, Welwyn Garden City, Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

Developer - Tesco PLC

Smart Virtual Store

Published on Sep 7, 2011

I recently heard about a new kind of "smart" store that was making its debut in Seolleung station here in Seoul. The location is nothing but a short bike ride from my flat, so I decided to roll on over and take a look for myself.

Homeplus, jointly owned by Tesco and Samsung, is the second largest retailer in South Korea. They are billing the venture as a "fourth generation" store. The official name is Homeplus Smart Virtual Store, and they say it is the first store of its kind in the world.
    Seolleung station is in the heart of the Gangnam business district. Its a very wealthy and affluent part of town filled with tall buildings, ritzy hotels, clubs and shops. That being said, Seolleung station itself is rather unassuming. It looks much the same as any other subway station, with various venders littering the passageways between exits. I assume the reason for the placement of the virtual store in Seolleung lies in the fact that it is a transfer station, linking the inner-city green line and the yellow line that runs to the heavily populated Bundang district of Seongnam...
    "Homeplus Smart Virtual Store – Shop with Your Phone While Commuting"

by Sage Lane
    September 7, 2011

Virtual store opens in Korea

Published on Oct 4, 2011

Footage from Japanese news channel NHK about our first virtual store in Korea.

UK's first interactive virtual grocery store

Published on Aug 7, 2012

Tesco unveils UK's first interactive virtual grocery store at Gatwick.

Coming home from holiday is bad enough, without the added hassle of returning to an empty fridge. Tesco is revealing a new solution, by opening the UK's first interactive virtual grocery store in Gatwick's North Terminal.