Thread: openDog, open source robot, XRobots.co.uk, James Bruton, Southampton, Hampshire, England

openDog, open source robot, XRobots.co.uk, James Bruton, Southampton, Hampshire, England

A lighter more powerful test robot dog

Published on Sep 24, 2019

This is the next version of a test legs to check out how I can simulate a spring without an actual spring - by using a gearbox of the correct ratio so it can be back-driven. I'm using four bruhsless motors and two ODrive Robotics motor drivers to attempt to hold the positions with encoders.

In the last attempt I also made the legs partially-compliant by using a PID controller with variable gain to drive the legs to a position they were back-driven to, which made them also actively back-drivable and more compliant.

In this version I'll be adding foot switches to the robot dog's feet, and also an Inertial Measurement Unit (IMU) to attempt to keep the dog level.

Next time I'll be making feet from hybrid 3D prints featuring a rigid section inside a flexible outer. These will feature hall effect sensors to measure the bend and therefore pressure in the feet.

Социальные закладки

Социальные закладки