Thread: Krista Kim

Designer Krista Kim on the world's first NFT house

Mar 17, 2021

Digital artist Krista Kim joins "Squawk Alley" to discuss the world's first ever NFT house, as well as the surprise tax facing those who buy NFT with cryptocurrency. For access to live and exclusive video from CNBC subscribe to CNBC PRO: https://cnb.cx/2NGeIvi​

Contemporary artist Krista Kim recently sold an NFT-minted digital house for 288 ether, valued at over $500,000 based on the cryptocurrency’s trading price Wednesday.

The creation — called Mars House — is part of Kim’s grand vision for the role augmented reality will play in the world, she explained in an interview on CNBC’s “Squawk Alley.”

“Right now, a lot of the [NFT] art that’s currently available on platforms, it’s a very limited parameter of how you can present the art,” Kim said Wednesday. “It’s presented, basically, as a digital file, a beautiful drawing or video on your screen, but my intention was to look beyond that.”

The new owner of Mars House, she said, will be able to upload the file into various metaverses -- 3D immersive worlds -- and experience the digital real estate there. She said Mars House represents the “next generation of NFT art.”

“For me, I actually foresee that we will be living in an augmented reality lifestyle within a very short period,” Kim said, predicting it could happen in “a couple years.”

The metaverse is an informal term used to describe a collaborative and immersive virtual world, and companies like Roblox and Fortnite maker Epic Games are working on the concept.

Augmented and virtual reality are key to providing a more immersive experience for these worlds. AR is technology that superimposes computer-generated images over real-world views, while VR goes further into a complete virtual space. Both have historically been associated with some sort of wearable headset or glasses.

Facebook’s Oculus is a well-known brand making virtual reality headsets, and the social media giant’s CEO, Mark Zuckerberg, has predicted big advances around AR and VR in the coming decade. Facebook plans to release smart glasses later this year.

Microsoft has its HoloLens offering, and, Kim noted, Apple has long been rumored to be working on an AR product.

Kim sees a central role for NFTs as the so-called AR lifestyle progresses.

“We’re all going to be decorating our environments and our personal space, our fashion,” she said. “Just like tattoos. People express themselves with tattoos. It’s an art form. Well, people are also going to express themselves with digital ... assets and decorative pieces and collectibles, fashion, accessories.”

NFTs are blockchain-based assets that are unique by design, and their popularity has boomed in recent months. Among their most critical characteristics, proponents say, is allowing for documented ownership of digital items.

Ownership of a particular NFT is recorded on distributed digital ledgers known as a blockchain, which also are used to power cryptocurrencies such as bitcoin. A range of assets are already being sold as NFTs, including basketball highlights, old tweets and a rock album. Recently, RTFKT Studios sold a collection of NFT-minted digital sneakers for the metaverse.

Historic auction houses known for selling multi-million dollar paintings have entered the crypto collectible fray, too. Last week, an NFT collage from the artist Beeple sold at a Christie’s auction for $69 million. On Tuesday, Sotheby’s announced a partnership with digital artist Pak.

Critics have dismissed the NFT boom as a flash in the pan destined to fade over time, and some note their soaring popularity — and what people are willing to pay for them — has coincided with a major rally in the value of many cryptocurrencies.

Krista Kim’s historic NFT Virtual Home Auction & The Future of AR Art

Mar 19, 2021

Next Reality Editor Adario Strange talks to artist Krista Kim on Clubhouse about the recent sale of her NFT virtual home called Mars House and how she wants to move it into augmented reality.
    "This Virtual Home Sold for $500K as an NFT, Now the Artist Wants to Move It into Augmented Reality"

by Adario Strange
    March 19, 2021

Mars House (2020)
    May 8, 2020

Mars House is the first iconic “NFT digital home” for sale in history. The digital file is offered upload on the Metaverse. Music collaboration with Jeff Shroeder of the Smashing Pumpkins.

During this pandemic the Krista is inspired to create a healing atmosphere using her Digital Zen philosophy. Mars House is a light sculpture, with LED substrate extending to the pool, throughout the entire perimeter of the house, for a uniform, fully integrated effect of my gradients in motion.

All of the furniture elements of Mars House, designed with tempered glass and fabrics, all renewable material, with my artwork on every detail. I want this space to showcase my passion for Meditative Design, a new definition of avant garde luxury for the digital age.

I learned what art is at the Ryoanji Zen garden in Kyoto. Art is a mirror of the mind. The negative space of a Zen garden is difficult to comprehend upon first encounter, but as you sit and absorb the existence of the garden, the negative space reflects into your consciousness. The negative space of no mind. Pure consciousness. I realized that art is not only about what you see, it becomes reflected into your consciousness and state of being.

My art is an exploration of Digital Zen. Digital environment is relentlessly distracting and addictive. As an attempt to bring new awareness of digital consciousness, my art strips away to the core element of light, color and sound. My intention is to create a meditative environment on our screen, like a digital Zen garden.

Kyoto’s architecture was built for Zen consciousness of the community, and I was inspired to expand on this tradition for the digital age. I designed and created Mars House in May 2020, during the first wave of COVID-19 lockdowns. Screens can be used as digital instruments of well-being. It is my prediction that micro LED technology will be used as architectural substrates for ceilings, floors and walls. My thesis is that your home can heal with the power of art and technology. The new luxury is leading edge technology purposed for health and well-being.

Mars House KK Studio (c) All Rights Reserved 2020

March 26, 2021

Inside Krista Kim's $500,000 NFT House - Spotlight

Apr 15, 2021

In the Season 2 premiere of Spotlight, we caught up with Toronto artist Krista Kim to discuss her recent sale of the first NFT House in the world. The 3D home titled "Mars House" sold on SuperRare for an astonishing 288 ETH valued at $512,712. Krista told us about her vision for a meditative dream home, the promise of digital zen, and the ways NFTs can lead to positive social change around the world.

Chapters:
    0:00​ Intro
    0:07​ Mars House & The Future of NFTs
    1:22​ What Krista's Doing with the $500,000
    2:21​ NFTs and Social Change
    4:00​ Mental Health and Art
    5:16​ Creating Digital Zen
    6:52​ Using Screens to Heal
    8:17​ Kyoto as an Influence
    9:55​ NFTs are a Supreme Art Medium

Mars House NFT:
    superrare.co/artwork-v2/mars-house-21383