Thread: ABBA

Abba - Fernando

Uploaded on Dec 31, 2007

Fernando was originally released as a single in Sweden by Frida, where it topped the charts for 9 consecutive weeks and broke all records. Abba realised it had international potential and released their own single version in March 1976. It topped the charts in many countries, and stayed at no. 1 in Australia for 14 weeks, equalling Hey Jude by The Beatles.
    Abba made their first tour to Australia in March 4-14 1976, and experienced Abbamania. Melbourne airport was beseiged by fans chanting for them when they arrived. The girls were moved to tears. Newspaper and tv headlines read "Abba fever hits Australia". Channel 9 recorded the tv special "The Best Of Abba", which included this performance of Fernando. The show was watched by 54% of the viewing public, more than watched the moon landing. They performed their biggest hits, with several costume changes. The tv producer declared "I have never worked with such an agreeable group of people. The image they present on screen - friendly, warm, bright, intelligent people - is exactly what they are. Complete modesty is the group's most refreshing quality".
    Expessen published some astounding figures after the tour. Abba had 5 singles and 2 albums in the charts at the same time in Australia. Fernando was no. 1, Ring Ring was no. 4, Rock Me was no. 5, Mama Mia was no. 20 and SOS was no. 22. "Abba" and "The Best Of Abba" were numbers 1 and 2 in the album charts.
    Public demand was so great, "The Best Of Abba" was screened several times and tv stations had to buy in foreign tv footage.
    This one is for my 3 super Aussie friends Kym (klnnlk), Di (shandi1122) and Matt (freddiefrinkle).

Социальные закладки

Социальные закладки