Thread: Noam Chomsky

Noam Chomsky: The Singularity is Science Fiction!

Published on Oct 4, 2013

Dr. Noam Chomsky is a famed linguist, political activist, prolific author and recognized public speaker, who has spent the last 60 years living a double life -- one as a political activist and another as a linguist. His activism allegedly made him the US government's public enemy number one. As a linguist he is often credited for dethroning behaviorism and becoming the "father of modern linguistics" (and/or cognitive science). Put together his accomplishments are the reasons why he is often listed as one of the most important intellectuals of the 20th century. And so I was very much looking forward to interviewing him on Singularity 1 on 1.

Unfortunately our time together was delayed, then rushed and a bit shorter than anticipated. So I was pretty nervous throughout and messed up some of my questions and timing. Never-the-less, I believe that we still had a worthy conversation with Dr. Chomsky and I appreciate the generous though limited time that he was able to grant me.

During our 28 minute conversation with Noam Chomsky we cover a variety of interesting topics such as: the balance between his academic and his political life; artificial intelligence and reverse engineering the human brain; why in his view both Deep Blue and Watson are little more than PR; the slow but substantial progress of our civilization; the technological singularity...

Noam Chomsky: Language, Cognition, and Deep Learning | Artificial Intelligence (AI) Podcast

Nov 29, 2019

Noam Chomsky is one of the greatest minds of our time and is one of the most cited scholars in history. He is a linguist, philosopher, cognitive scientist, historian, social critic, and political activist. He has spent over 60 years at MIT and recently also joined the University of Arizona. This conversation is part of the Artificial Intelligence podcast.

As I explain in the introduction, due to an unfortunate mishap, this conversation is audio-only. Hope you still enjoy it and find it interesting.

Noam Chomsky: Putin, Ukraine, China, and Nuclear War | Lex Fridman Podcast #316

Aug 31, 2022

Noam Chomsky is a linguist, philosopher, and political activist.

Outline:

0:00 - Introduction
    1:51 - Putin's motivations
    14:57 - War in Ukraine
    22:00 - Propaganda
    29:24 - China and American relations
    44:24 - Hope for humanity

Социальные закладки

Социальные закладки