Thread: Marvin Minsky

Marvin Minsky on Singularity 1 on 1: The Turing Test is a Joke!

Published on Jul 12, 2013

"Marvin Minsky on Singularity 1 on 1: The Turing Test is a Joke!"

by Socrates
    July 12, 2013

Marvin Minsky is often called the Father of Artificial Intelligence and I have been looking for an opportunity to interview him for years. I was hoping that I will finally get my chance at the GF2045 conference in NY City. Unfortunately, Prof. Minsky had bronchitis and consequently had to speak via video. A week later, though still recovering, Marvin generously gave me a 30 min interview while attending the ISTAS13 Veilance conference in Toronto. Hope that you enjoy this brief but rare opportunity as much as I did!

During our conversation with Marvin Minsky we cover a variety of interesting topics such as: how he moved from biology and mathematics to Artificial Intelligence; his personal motivation and most proud accomplishment; the importance of science fiction -- in general, and his take on Mary Shelley's Frankenstein -- in particular; the Turing Test; the importance of theory of mind; the Human Brain Project; the technological singularity and why he thinks that progress in AI has stalled; his personal advice to young AI researchers...

Kurzweil Interviews Minsky: Is Singularity Near?

Published on Jul 14, 2014

"A.I."

by Jeremy Bernstein
    December 14, 1981

AI History: Minsky Tentacle Arm

Uploaded on Nov 9, 2010

This film from 1968 shows Marvin Minsky's tentacle arm, developed at the MIT AI Lab (one of CSAIL's forerunner labs). The arm had twelve joints and could be controlled by a PDP-6 computer or via a joystick. This video demonstrates that the arm was strong enough to lift a person, yet gentle enough to embrace a child.
    “Minsky Arm,” Marvin Minsky, 1967–1973

Course "The Society of Mind", video lectures

Marvin Minsky

Article "We asked a robot to write an obit for AI pioneer Marvin Minsky"

by Adam Rogers
    January 26, 2016

Wordsmith, natural language generation platform

Marvin Minsky

Published on Mar 8, 2016

Marvin Minsky
    Toshiba Professor of Media Arts and Sciences and Computer Science and Engineering, emeritus
    Head, Society of Mind Group

Marvin Minsky was the Toshiba professor of media arts and sciences and computer science and engineering emeritus at MIT. Professor Minsky was a pioneer in the field of robotics and telepresence and he designed some of the first visual scanners and mechanical hands with tactile sensors. A philosopher and scientist, he worked in artificial intelligence since the 1950s and his 1961 paper, “Steps Towards Artificial Intelligence” was seminal to the field. Professor Minsky’s recent focus was on imparting human common sense to machines.

Социальные закладки

Социальные закладки