Thread: Solidoodle, 3D printers, Brooklyn, New York, USA

Solidoodle 4 eyes-on

Published on Nov 22, 2013

Solidoodle's 4th generation 3d printer is better looking and more user-friendly. In fact, the printer looks a bit like an appliance - a mini-fridge or a maybe a tall microwave when you fire up the LED lighting inside. And hey, I could certainly see it sitting next to my desk in my new apartment. The price is right, too. Granted, it's currently the most expensive entry in the Solidoodle lineup, but it's competing with $800 and $500 price points (both of which sticking around, for the record). At $999, the Solidoodle 4 is still easily one of the most affordable pre-built consumer facing 3D printers out there

Read on Engadget: "Solidoodle 4 keeps 3D printing under $1,000"

by Brian Heater
    November 22, 2013

Solidoodle Announces Suspension of Operations

by Sam
    March 28, 2016

Solidoodle Community,

Today, with sadness, I am announcing that Solidoodle has suspended operations.

A few years ago Solidoodle was one of the leading manufacturers of consumer 3D printers, with 70 employees and over ten thousand units shipped. Regrettably, we stumbled on the launch of our 5th generation product, the Solidoodle Press, which fell short of our high standards for providing an outstanding consumer experience. This led to a downward spiral of declining sales and layoffs that further hindered our ability to deliver a great consumer experience.

From 2011 through 2014 we assembled our first four product generations at our own factory in Brooklyn. Soon demand began to grow so large that we felt it would be difficult to scale effectively in Brooklyn, so we sought to partner with an outside assembly factory. We had been largely successful purchasing components in China, so manufacturing our entire product there seemed like the next logical step.

However, this proved to be much more difficult than expected. Despite spending months in China building the partnership, training workers, and inspecting finished units, the factory shipped units which did not live up to our standards. This setback was exacerbated by the 2014 West Coast Port labor dispute and slowdown, which kept hundreds of printers ordered for the Holiday Season from arriving until March. Had they arrived on schedule, we would have had much more time for testing and inspection, and would have realized crucial cash flow much sooner.

We were able to raise some turnaround funding in July 2015, but, despite the support of our investors and the heroic efforts of our team, we were unable to revive sales and return to profitability. As a result, at the end of 2015 Solidoodle ran out of cash, stopped taking new orders, and laid off it’s employees. I’ve now exhausted nearly all of my personal savings in an attempt to achieve the best possible outcome for everyone involved.

While we have been able to fulfill our outstanding orders (with very few exceptions), there remain a few dozen customers still owed a refund for a returned or undelivered product that we cannot honor. While the company has no cash remaining to issue refunds, we have been working behind the scenes to try to make up for some of your loss.

New Matter, makers of the award-winning MOD-t 3D printer, have graciously offered to ship a FREE MOD-t to all Solidoodle customers who are due a refund. I am very grateful to Steve Schell and the New Matter team for their generosity and dedication to the industry. They were under no obligation to step up and are receiving no financial compensation to help us. Those customers with Solidoodle refunds due can contact New Matter at by May 1, 2016 to follow up on the free MOD-t offer.

For assistance and support issues, I enourage our customers to visit the soliforum.com site, which has become a great community over the years and has proven to be a valuable resource.

While the Solidoodle chapter is unfortunately coming to an end, it’s important to remember that together we achieved many successes. Since 2011 we showed the world that 3D printers could be made both affordable and accessible to put the means of production into the hands of average citizens. We shipped over ten thousand 3D printers to customers in 60 countries. Customers have used those 3D printers to unleash their creativity, teach children about technology, and even print prosthetic hands for amputees. Together, we played an important part in advancing 3D printing from a relatively unknown technology into a powerful force of creation. While the Solidoodle era is ending, the digital manufacturing revolution is only just beginning. I’m grateful to have taken this journey with all of you and I have great faith in the human spirit of creativity to continue using technology to build a smarter, happier, more sustainable society.