Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hugh Herr

Hugh Herr

media.mit.edu/people/hherr

twitter.com/hughherr

Hugh Herr on Wikipedia

Hugh Herr (born October 25, 1964) is an American rock climber, engineer, and biophysicist.

Look at Adrianne Haslet-Davis

Biomech Group - vimeo.com/user19462571

Video Interview with Hugh Herr, director of the Biomechatronics Group at the MIT Media Lab

Published on Oct 15, 2012

AVING NEWS had an interview with Hugh Herr, the director of the Biomechatronics Group at the MIT Media Lab at 'Korea Electronics Show (KES) 2012'

Question

1. Could you please introduce yourself including how did you start studying the Convergence Technology of body and machine?

2. You had a presentation based on "Human 2.0: New minds, New Bodies, New Identities" at International conference on Industry Convergence 2012. Could you please make long and valuable presentation short ?

3. MIT Media Lab is at the center of the world by creating new future technology, What kind of technology do you focus on?

4. Could you please tell me what is the future direction of technology for humanity ?

Hugh Herr: The new bionics that let us run, climb and dance

Published on Mar 28, 2014

Hugh Herr is building the next generation of bionic limbs, robotic prosthetics inspired by nature's own designs. Herr lost both legs in a climbing accident 30 years ago; now, as the head of the MIT Media Lab's Biomechatronics group, he shows his incredible technology in a talk that's both technical and deeply personal — with the help of ballroom dancer Adrianne Haslet-Davis, who lost her left leg in the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing, and performs again for the first time on the TED stage.

Hugh Herr, Bionic Man - Part 1
    June 5, 2012

Hugh Herr is an engineer, biophysicist, and rock climber whose legs were amputated after suffering severe frostbite while mountain climbing. Herr designed his own prostheses in order to climb again and is now the head of the Biomechatronic research group at the MIT Media Lab- the head in his field.

Hugh Herr, Bionic Man - Part 2
    June 5, 2012

Gamechanger - Hugh Herr
    September 12, 2011

This is a video I cut recently for Time.com. It's an interesting little vignette about a guy who's been working on artificial limbs for many years, and recently has brought a highly computerized variant to market. I did the dialog edit (from the full interview), picked music, pulled stills and put it all together. A fun project for a few days!

Hugh Herr: MassTLC 2014 Distinguished Leadership Award

Published on Sep 15, 2014

This Distinguished Leadership Award was presented to Hugh Herr, individual whose pioneering research and development in the field of biomechatronics has provided grater mobility and new hope to individuals with physical disabilities.

Biomechatronics

Published on Mar 9, 2015

"Hugh Herr is changing the way we think about our bodies. ""Bionic researchers,” he says, “contemplate a future world in which what is biological and what is not will be forever blurred.” Herr is director of the Biomechatronics group at MIT’s Media Lab, where he invents bionic limbs that move like flesh and blood, and exoskeletons that can extend function for us all. In this World Economic Forum video, Herr describes how he defied doctor’s predictions to transform the world of prosthetics and the lives of thousands of amputees, starting with his own.

Watch the full video above or read a selection of quotes below.

On disability
    “Today we live in a world where disability is commonplace. The level of human suffering is beyond all human comprehension. So many people have disabilities and a poorer quality of life than they seek. The field of bionics imagines a future where that’s not the case, where disability has largely been solved.”

“The science and technology that will enable the elimination of disability after disability, will also I believe set the technological foundation for human augmentation. Recently we’ve established at MIT the centre for extreme bionics. It’s critically important to deeply understand how human’s work from our limbs to our brain - how does it all work?”

On imagining a world without barriers
    “As you can see I’m wearing two artificial limbs. Twenty years ago, what I’m wearing today would simply be laughable, but it’s a start. The legs have six microprocessors, small computers and twenty four sensors that measure positions, accelerations, forces and whatnot. That sensory data goes into those microprocessors, and the microprocessor runs algorithms that control a muscle, tendon-like artificial actuator. And when I walk, what we’ve done is put forth algorithms that enable me to walk without much training. It’s very simple and natural for me to walk. It doesn’t really matter that they’re synthetic, because they move like flesh and bone.”

“This is an image of me, taken shortly after my limbs were amputated in 1982. What do you see here? Do you see a cripple? Do you see weakness or do you see extraordinary exciting potential? I asked my rehab doctor a few weeks after my limbs were amputated, what will I be able to do with my new body? He said you’ll be able to drive a car but you’ll need hand controls, but you’ll not be able to ride a bicycle or return to climbing mountains. He was wrong from my perspective today because he viewed my body as broken and he viewed current technology as forever stagnant, will never be upgraded, will never change.”

“I was very upset when he said I wouldn’t be able to do all these things I wanted to do, but quickly I realised that the artificial part of my body represented potential. It could be anything that I could imagine or the scientific world could imagine. I began imagining beyond limitation.”

On future bionics
    “We’ve invested so many dollars in society to make wheeled vehicles better and better - cars, wheelchairs and whatnot. My hope is in this century we invest more dollars to make our own bodies, our own morphologies more efficient, stronger.”

“I believe in a decade or two, when we walk down the street we’ll routinely see people wearing machines, exoskeletons. How does all this current and future technology affect human identity? How a person sees their own body - and that body may be unusual with limb amputation or paralysis - and how society views unusual bodies?”

“Bionics has tremendous potential for society, but not without risk. We the people have in our creative power to end disability in this century, and simultaneously adhere with absolute obedience to the principle of human diversity and individual freedoms.”

IEEE @ SXSW 2015 - Extreme Bionics: The End of Disability

Published on Apr 22, 2015

As the co-director of the Center for Extreme Bionics at MIT Media Lab, Hugh Herr is working to advance technology leading to the elimination of disability and the reinvention of society through electromechanical enhancements to our bodies. By understanding the electrical signals in our nerves and muscles, he is designing revolutionary prosthetics that not only allow people to walk, but to sense their environments, actually feeling the grass beneath their bare mechanical “feet.” He is creating machines that will augment and enhance human capabilities in ways that exceed beyond the boundaries of nature and biology. Contributions like Herr’s will mean the next generation of robotic prosthetics may well eliminate the barriers between human limitation and human potential and extinguish the conceptual and social divide between man and machine. In this compelling session at SXSW 2015 -- which included an introduction and interview by Mary Ward-Callan (Managing Director, IEEE Technical Activities) -- Hugh provided insight into how his work goes beyond just repairing damaged bodies and pushes the limits of body hacking.

Can prosthetics outperform real limbs?

Published on Nov 4, 2015

MIT Media Lab's Hugh Herr explains how he looks to nature when developing new bionic appendages. The amputee and avid rock climber discusses how his biomechatronics division is pioneering the technologies that aim to augment human physical capabilities.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast