Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous

ROBOT WORLD 2014: Martial Arts Performance

Published on Oct 26, 2014

ROBOTIS staged a robot martial arts performance utilizing their Bioloid humanoid robots equipped with DARWIN-OP heads.

Job automation: are writers, artists, and musicians replaceable?

Published on Jul 10, 2017

You're probably reading this from either a smartphone or a laptop. It's no small secret that the device you're looking at can create works of art... if you put your mind to it. But therein lies the point that Andrew McAfee makes in this video: you need to put your own creativity into the computer for it to work. Interestingly enough, computers are pretty adept at creating architecture and music. This is largely because what is pleasing to the quote-unquote "Western aesthetic mind" is easy to replicate. Music follows a formula, as does pleasing architecture and design. But when AI tries to replicate the human condition, or relate in any way to emotions and feelings, that is where even the smartest computer brains fails. Great news for all us writers out there. Not so great for all the graphic designers, though!

Just about every time that I get involved in a discussion or a conversation about technological progress and how it can take away jobs from people and how it can automate away things that people used to do, one of the first things that people talk about this irreplaceable human skill is creativity, is coming up with some kind of eureka. And I think that is simultaneously correct and not correct at all. And let me talk first about the way that it's not correct at all. There are lots of different definitions of creativity out there. One of them that I walk around with is the ability to come up with a powerful or a useful legitimately novel idea. I think that's what creative people, whether they are innovators or entrepreneurs or investors or musicians or painters, a lot of what I think of as creativity is this eureka, this coming up with something that's valuable or valued and also pretty novel. Machines can do that now by any definition they can do that in lots of different domains. There's a rapidly growing field called generative design and what that means is if you feed into a modern piece of technology the specifications that you want this building to be able to handle or this heat exchanger or the frame of a car or some kind of part out there in the physical world that has to meet some performance specifications or fit inside some performance envelope we've got software that will generate a part that will do that admirably.

And what's interesting is when you couple that software to a 3-D printer you print out these arbitrarily complex shapes that do exactly what you want them to do. They're typically very, very high performing, they're typically very efficient. They very often look different than what a human designer would come up with. When I look at the parts that get churned out by generative design software they look skulls or skeletons or exoskeletons that you see in nature and I was initially surprised by that. I don't think I should be surprised by that, the forms that nature produces are by definition really, really useful and really efficient because they've survived all the evolutionary challenges in history so far and arrived at this point so they're really beautiful objects. Generative design software can turn out objects like that now that remind me a lot of things that we see in the natural world. They look different than what human designers come up with. They perform better in many cases than what human designers come up with. I would call the work of design a very creative endeavor. We have technology that's now good at that.

There's also technology that can compose music in almost any style that you suggest. And there's an interesting phenomenon going on there: when people know in advance that they're going to be listening to computer generated music they very often dismiss it as shallow or trivial or obviously not coming from a human composer's mind and heart. When listeners don't know in advance that they're listening to computer generated music they very often find it as evocative, as beautiful, as moving as anything a human being would come up with. I guess we shouldn't be so surprised by that. Human taste in music is not this great unknown. We know some of the rules about what western listeners, for example, find appealing in music. You can bake those rules into software, hit go and generate a lot of music. So again, that's an endeavor where I would've thought of it as creative and computers are clearly doing at least an adequate job, possibly a really, really good job. However, what we haven't seen yet are computers that can turn out lyrics on top of that music that sound anything except either really, really silly or flat out nonsensical and ridiculous.

Article "AI is their paintbrush, but the artwork is no less human"
    In “Gradient Descent,” now on view at Nature Morte gallery in New Delhi, artists become one with machines—and the results are stunning.

by Dj Pangburn
    September 11, 2018

Article "Can AI create real art?"
    Robots have the potential to transform our everyday — including human-defined creativity. But always for the better? The opportunities and dangers of artificial intelligence was a key theme at DW's Global Media Forum.

by Bettina Baumann
    May 29, 2019

How this guy uses A.I. to create art

Jan 16, 2020

Artist Refik Anadol doesn't work with paintbrushes or clay. Instead, he uses large collections of data and machine learning algorithms to create mesmerizing and dynamic installations.
    Article "Refik Anadol uses AI to create mesmerising film of New York City"

by Eleanor Gibson
    November 20, 2019

Refik Anadol
    Last edited by Airicist2; 20th October 2022 at 09:51.

Article "Artificial intelligence: can it create better art?"
    With the feverish pace of technological developments, is it finally time for us to start looking at art with a different perspective?

by Aditi Bhagat
    January 19, 2020

The digital future of the performing arts | CogX 2020

June 12, 2020

All the Web’s a Stage: The Digital Future of the Performing Arts

Kwame Kwei-Armah - Artistic Director - Young Vic
    Adrian Lester - Actor, Director & Writer -
    Lolita Chakrabarti - Actor and Writer -
    Susan Boster - Founder & Managing Director - Boster Group

The Createch stage will offer an upbeat vision of how converging creativity and technology can improve how we connect, create, and consume.Discover the pioneers re-imagining TV, theatre, fashion, music, and community, and inventing new possibilities for audiences, creatives, and investors.Between sessions, short films will showcase innovative creativity to keep you stimulated and entertained. Come and be inspired.

Can an AI generate original art?

Sep 15, 2020

The paper "Rewriting a Deep Generative Model" is available here:
    https://rewriting.csail.mit.edu

Article "Interactive Multi-Robot Painting Through Colored Motion Trails"

by María Santos, Gennaro Notomista, Siddharth Mayya, Magnus Egerstedt
    October 14, 2020

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Социальные закладки

Социальные закладки