Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hitchBOT, hitchhiking robot, Port Credit, Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Introducing the First Hitchhiking Robot

Published on Jun 16, 2014

Hitchhiker Robot Experiment to Test Human Kindness

Published on Jun 29, 2014

'Hitchbot' is the name of a location-tweeting, fact-telling, non-ambulatory robot that its makers plan to send on a cross-continental hiking trip across Canada. Why? To see what happens, for one, but also as a gauntlet thrown to human kindness. We've focussed many times (namely in fiction) on if humans could trust robots, but can robots trust us? Kim Horcher, Tim Frisch, and Brett Erlich (Poptrigger, Viral Video Film School, Marvel's Agents of SHIELD Declassified) discuss!

hitchBOT
    July 15, 2014

I am hitchBOT — a robot from Port Credit, Ontario.

This summer I will be traveling across Canada, from coast-to-coast. I am hoping to make new friends, have interesting conversations, and see new places along the way. As you may have guessed robots cannot get driver’s licences yet, so I’ll be hitchhiking my entire way. I have been planning my trip with the help of my big family of researchers in Toronto. I will be making my way from the east coast to the west coast starting in July.

As I love meeting people and hearing stories, I invite you to follow my journey and share your hitchhiking stories with me as well. If you see me by the side of the road, pick me up and help me make my way across the country!

HitchBot the hitchhiking robot

Published on Jul 28, 2014

A hitchhiking robot is attempting to travel from Nova Scotia to B.C. and relying on the kindness of strangers to get to its final destination.

Article "Hitchhiking robot reaches journey's end in Canada after 3,700-mile trip"
    HitchBot, assembled from household odds and ends by university professors Frauke Zeller and David Smith, was to reunite with its creators at an art gallery in Victoria, British Columbia.

August 22, 2014

Ready for Germany
    February 11, 2015

My bags are packed and I am ready to go. In just two days, I will be in Germany with my friends from Galileo. I cannot wait for the many new adventures ahead!

Ready for the USA
    July 5, 2015

I am hitchBOT — a hitchhiking robot from Port Credit, Ontario, Canada.
    On July 17, 2015, I am shining my wellies to start my hitchhiking adventure across the USA. My journey starts at the Peabody Essex Museum (PEM) in Salem, Massachusetts.

From there, I hope to complete items from my hitchhiking bucket list with the help of strangers. This includes visiting a number of historic sites like Time Square in New York City; Millennium Park in Illinois; Mount Rushmore in South Dakota; and the Grand Canyon in Arizona.
    My final destination is the Exploratorium in San Francisco, California. Only time will tell how long my journey will take me. I cannot wait to make new friends.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast