Founder and CEO at Elemental Cognition

facebook.com/david.ferrucci.1

linkedin.com/in/david-ferrucci-4a34b0

David Ferrucci on Wikipedia

Co-creator of Watson, artificially intelligent computer system

Co-creator of Lovelace Test of Artificial Creativity and Intelligence

Computer scientist and Watson co-creator David Ferrucci

Published on Sep 16, 2014

When David Ferrucci was introduced to computer programming as a high school student questions flooded his mind … Where does it stop? What can I get the computer to do? "My mind immediately went to the idea of artificial intelligence ... It was just overwhelming, you know, and exciting."
    A significant moment, given that Ferrucci would one day lead a team at IBM that developed Watson, the computer that famously won a three-day game of Jeopardy in February, 2011 — the popular game show's first machine/human matchup and a milestone in the field of artificial intelligence

David Ferrucci: IBM Watson, Jeopardy & Deep Conversations with AI | Artificial Intelligence Podcast

Oct 11, 2019

David Ferrucci led the team that built Watson, the IBM question-answering system that beat the top humans in the world at the game of Jeopardy. He is also the Founder, CEO, and Chief Scientist of Elemental Cognition, a company working engineer AI systems that understand the world the way people do. This conversation is part of the Artificial Intelligence podcast.

Former IBM Watson Team Leader David Ferrucci on AI and Elemental Cognition

Dec 14, 2019

Dr. David Ferrucci is one of the few people who have created a benchmark in the history of AI because when IBM Watson won Jeopardy we reached a milestone many thought impossible. I was very privileged to have Ferrucci on my podcast in early 2012 when we spent an hour on Watson’s intricacies and importance. Well, it’s been almost 8 years since our original conversation and it was time to catch up with David to talk about the things that have happened in the world of AI, the things that didn’t happen but were supposed to, our present as well as our future in relation to Artificial Intelligence. All in all, I was super excited to have Ferrucci back on my podcast and hope you enjoy our conversation as much as I did.

During this 90 min interview with David Ferffucci, we cover a variety of interesting topics such as: his perspective on IBM Watson; AI, hype and human cognition; benchmarks on the singularity timeline; his move away from IBM to the biggest hedge fund in the world; Elemental Cognition and its goals, mission and architecture; Noam Chomsky and Marvin Minsky‘s skepticism of Watson; deductive, inductive and abductive learning; leading and managing from the architecture down; Black Box vs Open Box AI; CLARA – Collaborative Learning and Reading Agent and the best and worst applications thereof; the importance of meaning and whether AI can be the source of it; whether AI is the greatest danger humanity is facing today; why technology is a magnifying mirror; why the world is transformed by asking questions.

My favorite quotes that I will take away from this conversation with David Ferrucci is:

Let our imagination drive the expectation for what AI is and what it does for us!